I paid $390 to spend a night in the Shotgun House from 'Fixer Upper.' Here's what it was like to stay in 1 of Bit and Joanna Gaines' famous homes.

fixer upper shotgun house exterior

The Shotgun House exterior.
Erin McDowell/Insider
  • I recently visited Waco, Texas, and Magnolia Market during its almanac Silobration.
  • I stayed the night in the Shotgun House, ane of the homes made over on the HGTV show "Fixer Upper."
  • I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend the house to "Logroller Upper" fans and non-fans alike.

I recently went on a trip to Austin and decided to simultaneously plan a one-dark excursion to Waco, Texas.

A map of Austin, Waco, and Dallas.
Google Maps

The town of Waco has long been associated with the deadly 1993 siege of the Branch Davidians, but since "Fixer Upper" premiered in 2013, the town has undergone a desperate image modify, and now Waco is well known for existence the location of the show.

The premise of "Logroller Upper" is simple: Waco locals Flake and Joanna Gaines renovate old, ofttimes-rundown houses into people'south dream homes.

The Silos, where Flake and Joanna Gaines' storefront Magnolia Domicile is located, opened in 2015 and has been a source of tourism for the town ever since.

During my trip to Waco, I visited the Silos, Magnolia Market place, and the couple's eatery Magnolia Table.

Me continuing in front of the Silos.
Erin McDowell/Insider

However, to fully circular out my experience in Waco, I decided I needed to take it one pace further — I needed to actually stay in one of the homes from the show.

Quite a few homes that were renovated on "Fixer Upper" are now available to rent on Airbnb.

The "barndominium" from "Fixer Upper."
Airbnb

Some examples include the "mid-century modern" home from the third flavour of "Fixer Upper" and even the famous "barndominium."

When deciding which "Fixer Upper" home I wanted to stay in, I considered a number of factors: price, location, and what was appropriate for ane person — there was no sense in booking a four-plus bedroom house when it would only be me staying in it.

I traveled by bus from Austin to Waco, which took about 2 hours.

A road near the house.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The Shotgun Firm was then a brusk walking distance — simply seven minutes — from the Greyhound bus stop.

Yet, despite the short distance, the journeying was a little bit harder as some roads I was walking forth had no sidewalks or nearby crosswalks. It definitely would take been much more convenient (and probably safer) to drive or take an Uber from the station.

I ran into the same problem over again when walking from the house to the Silos. Though totally doable, yous might want to avert walking at night or you lot should simply exist extra careful because of traffic.

When I arrived at the Shotgun House, I saw that the front was busy festively for the fall season.

Outside the front door of the Shotgun Firm.
Erin McDowell/Insider

At that place were about a dozen pumpkins neatly arranged on the steps in front of the house, which definitely put me in a good mood. Given that my stay fell a few days before Halloween, I liked the fact that the house looked ready for the holiday.

After following the check-in instructions to retrieve the fundamental to the front door, it was finally time to explore the "Logroller Upper" business firm.

The main living space consists of a large couch, two chairs, a TV, and a coffee tabular array.

The coffee table.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The furnishings were elementary yet comfy.

I felt at home thank you to the cozy touches included throughout the house.

Decorative touches.
Erin McDowell/Insider

In that location was a mix of modern and vintage-inspired decor pieces.

Everything had its place, including the trash tin can.

Erin McDowell/Insider

Information technology took me a while to effigy out where the trash can was hiding, though I estimate that's just i of the design features that makes the firm interesting.

One of the things I really loved about the kitchen was the vintage-looking Smeg fridge.

The kitchen.
Erin McDowell/Insider

It definitely fabricated the room experience more homey and comfortable. I was also pleased to detect that inside the refrigerator were a few bottles of h2o and soda for guests to grab.

There were also a few treats laid out under a drinking glass dessert instance.

Desserts in a glass case.
Erin McDowell/Insider

I thought this was a nice touch, specially after a long twenty-four hour period of traveling.

There was also a set of floating shelves for dishes, knick-knacks, and a few commemorative items.

Floating shelves in the kitchen.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Everything was make clean and very neatly placed.

I of the first things I noticed was this framed photo of the owners, Cameron and Jessie, posing in their new dwelling with Chip and Joanna Gaines.

A framed photo of Cameron and Jessie with Fleck and Joanna Gaines.
Erin McDowell/Insider

I idea information technology was a charming touch, particularly for a "Logroller Upper" fan like myself.

I of the near interesting features of the Shotgun House was the loft area.

Lever for the loft stairs.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The stairs tin can be raised to the ceiling and be brought downward once again by a chain lever.

It felt a little precarious climbing upwardly the stairs, just it felt even more intimidating going down.

An aerial view of the loft stairs and the kitchen.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The stairs are extremely narrow and steep — I assume in society to relieve space. I was a little nervous climbing down — particularly while holding my camera — and didn't go up once again during my stay.

For anyone looking to utilize the loft space, I would definitely be wary and ensure that small children know to steer articulate.

Off the bedroom was a hallway with a prepare of French doors that open to the backyard.

The tile in the hallway.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The floors in the hallway and the bathroom were both a cute, teal-colored decorative tile that matched the paint color in the bedchamber.

The backyard had a fire pit.

The fire pit.
Erin McDowell/Insider

I didn't program to use the fire pit during my overnight stay only thought it was a corking activity for guests who desire to do something special and apply the outdoor infinite.

The backyard is on the smaller side, merely you tin can actually see the Silos from it.

The backyard.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Despite beingness surrounded by other houses, the fence and alpine forepart gate helped the backyard feel a tad more private.

Back within, I saw that the hallway also had a full-size washer and dryer.

The laundry room.
Erin McDowell/Insider

I didn't demand to practice any laundry while I was in that location, simply I did like that I had a identify to do it if I needed to or was staying in that location for an extended menstruum of fourth dimension.

Later staying in a slightly below-average hotel bed for 6 nights during my trip to Austin, I was excited to sleep in an bodily bed.

The bedroom.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The bed itself is a queen size on a trendy, wooden platform bed. Testing it out, I found it to be supercomfortable. I couldn't wait to clamber in later with a expert book.

The bedroom itself too had a few pieces of memorabilia and other decorations.

The decorations in the sleeping room.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The chest of drawers was stocked with extra bedding, towels, and anything else guests might need.

After eating some Indian food I ordered from a local eating place, I decided to relax by watching the Shotgun House's episode of "Fixer Upper" on my laptop.

Watching "Fixer Upper" on my laptop.
Erin McDowell/Insider

It was interesting to see how the house had changed between the final reveal and when I actually stayed in it. For example, most of the furniture pieces shown in the last scenes of the episode were actually nonetheless in the firm.

This isn't exactly common for "Fixer Upper" homes, which are staged by Joanna Gaines for the filming of the show. All homeowners are given the opportunity to purchase the furniture, which appears to exist what the Bells did. I likewise realized that both the bed and fifty-fifty the bodily bedding were the same as shown in the episode.

Watching the episode back was a slightly meta experience, just it was absurd to see the procedure of the house coming together and to see but how similar the house is to what was shown on TV.

Before turning in for the night, I decided to test out the shower.

The bathroom.
Erin McDowell/Insider

I believe whatever hotel or Airbnb stay comes downwardly to the quality of the shower, andboywas I impressed. This was past far one of the nicest showers I've ever used.

The warm lighting and concrete sinks made the bath cozy, withal mod-feeling.

The bathroom.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Everything felt really loftier-quality — I guess we have Chip and Joanna Gaines' design sensibilities to give thanks for that.

At that place was as well a drawer filled with actress toiletries like toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, and conditioner.

A toiletries drawer in the bathroom.
Erin McDowell/Insider

As someone who often loses their toothbrush at some indicate while traveling, I idea this was a nice impact.

I dimmed the overhead lights and settled into bed.

The bedroom at night.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Subsequently a shower and slipping into my pajamas, curling up in the fresh sheets was a heavenly experience. I read my book for a picayune bit before turning off the lights.

I slept well, and I recollect the darker paint color and blinds helped. Both fabricated the room quite night and cozy in the forenoon, which allowed me to sleep in comfortably.

When I dragged myself out of bed in the morning, I discovered a fully stocked coffee drawer in the kitchen.

The coffee drawer in the kitchen.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Even though I had early morning breakfast plans, I thought it was a overnice touch for guests heading out the door in the morning time.

The house was but a few minutes' walk abroad from the Silos and nigh a 10-infinitesimal drive from Magnolia Table.

The Silos.
Erin McDowell/Insider

The abode was close to well-nigh of the popular shops and restaurants in Waco.

The owners, Cameron and Jessie, as well left me a list of a few of their favorite places to eat, shop, become out for a date night, and more. That made me feel like I had plenty of local-approved options for how to spend my time in Waco.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed my stay in the Shotgun Business firm from "Fixer Upper."

Me taking a selfie in the chamber mirror.
Erin McDowell/Insider

Afterward packing up my things and signing the guestbook, it was fourth dimension to head back to Austin and catch my flying home to New York.

Reflecting on my experience equally a "Fixer Upper" fan staying in a dwelling from the prove, I really couldn't have asked for a better experience. My stay was comfortable and convenient. As someone who has watched "Fixer Upper" for years, information technology was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience to spend the night in a home dreamed up past Flake and Joanna Gaines.

However, as much as I beloved Chip and Jo, information technology was Cameron and Jessie who made the stay one to recollect. From the unique, thoughtful details sprinkled throughout the dwelling to the personally curated guide to Waco, every attempt was made to make me experience comfortable and at home. I would definitely come back to Shotgun Firm once more — and recommend it to anyone traveling to the small town.

Axel Springer, Insider Inc.'south parent company, is an investor in AirBnB.

Deal icon An icon in the shape of a lightning commodities.

Keep reading